Sunday, February 1, 2009

Speak


Speak
by Laurie Halse Anderson

Melinda Sordino has a secret. She can't tell anyone. Last August at an end-of-summer party, she had to call the cops. No one knows why, but they still hate her.

She stays quiet. Her parents don't know. All her old friends won't speak to her. Even the new girl decides she doesn't want to be her friend because she's heard about Mel. She's all alone. And it is hard to not think about that night when the cause of her pain is always right there.

Grade: A

I read this book before, way back when I was in middle school. I watched the movie a week or two ago on the Lifetime channel, and I just had to read the book again to be reminded of how great it is. I recommend this book to everyone. It is written so well. And I feel so much towards Melinda. She is such a great character and you can really connect to her pain. If you haven't read this, you really should. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Kd said...

A couple of my friends have read this and they all said it was great. I really want to read this one now!

Unknown said...

I love this book. I even wrote my college essay about Melinda.
I now have it on tape and have ordered it so I should get my own copy soon!

Sara