Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Shrinking Violet


Shrinking Violet (ARC)
by Danielle Joseph

Teresa Adams, aka, Tere is painfully shy. Just the thought of speaking to people feels like a glob of peanut butter is stuck in her throat. The only time she is totally comfortable is in the privacy of her own room, her iPod pumping in her ears, and doing mock broadcasts for Miami's hottest FM radio station--SLAM--which also just happens to be owned by her stepfather.

Tere surprises herself when a slot opens up at the station and tells Rob, her stepfather, that she could help out. Suddenly she is the new intern. Her confident on-air persona is Sweet T. Everyone loves her. Even Gavin, her crush that she can actually talk to, raves about how great the show is.

To get more listeners on the station, the station decides to hold a contest to win a date to prom with Sweet T. Tere is less than thrilled. But maybe she will meet her knight in shining armor, and in the process, find her voice.

Grade: A

This book was a fun and cute read. I'm pretty shy myself; not nearly as shy as Tere, but it was fun to read about a girl that is super shy. At the beginning it was hard to get into. But, after a few chapters, it was hard to put down! I know how she felt in class when she got called on--it's scary for me too! There were made up band names too, which were interesting. In fact, Shrinking Violet was one of the names. I didn't understand the title until I read the band name, and there is a cute meaning behind it, actually. I really liked Gavin's character. He seems so cute! The only bad thing about this ARC was the fact that I got a plain lime and purple cover, instead of the cover I have on here. Oh well. I'm glad I read this, and you should pick it up once it comes out!

*reviewed for teensreadtoo.com
released on May 5, 2009

6 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

this looks adorable :) I'm going to read it

Unknown said...

Purple & lime cover? Boooooo! The actual cover is super-adorable! This looks really good, and I hope I get to read it soon!

Anonymous said...

It sounds cute. Thanks for the review! I will have to pick this one up.

Bookworm said...

I LOVE the actual cover! So cute....and this sounds amazing! Nice review!

Reyna Meinhardt said...

Hello!

Theres an award waiting for you over at my blog! Enjoy!

http://booksforteensreviews.
blogspot.com/

(Copy and paste the two lines together, I had to do it this way so you could see the whole link!)

krystenB said...

oh i wanna read that! i know what ya mean by being shy too :] looks good!