Monday, March 23, 2009

Across the Pond


Across the Pond
by Storyheart

Fred's parents won a trip to Australia--too bad it didn't come with three tickets. Fred gets the choice to go stay with his grandparents in Scotland, or to visit his parents' friend Phil in the United States. He chose the latter, not knowing what to expect of Phil, his wife Julie, and their daughter Brittney.

As he and Brit's relationship blossoms into something more, he learns about her secret involving Steve Harris. Fred decides he will give him what he deserves before he leaves the states and goes back to England.

Fred's trip the the states is one he will never forget. He catches Chipper Evan's 500th homerun ball at his first baseball game, and Fred learns that some people will do whatever it takes to get that ball. He and Harris have multiple run-ins. The relationship between Fred and Brit may have a sad ending, since Fred will soon be heading back across the pond to England.

Grade: B+

It was nice of Storyheart to email me and ask for me to review his book. I had a great time reading it. For his first YA novel, it was a fun, quick read. I really enjoyed Fred as a character. He was caring, strong, and sometimes very confused by the language difference. I liked how Brit says "cool beans"...I say it too. :) The only thing I'm not too sure about is the relationship between Fred and Brit. Maybe it was love at first sight, but to me, it seemed somewhat unrealistic. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. And I learned some British terms. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Us English men often fall in love very quickly you know *grin*. And you learned some British terms as well.

I am doing a British bit every Sunday on my blog
http://acrossthepond-storyheart.blogspot.com/
This week was about that it was Mothers Day in the UK and why the US changed the date.
Thank you once again.
Storyheart

Unknown said...

Just to let you know my blog today was about the wonderful small blog sites such as yours that are out there for all to read and enjoy

You can check it out at
Don’t Forget The Little People – The Small Blog Sites at
http://acrossthepond-storyheart.blogspot.com/

Storyheart