Monday, August 24, 2009

What Would Emma Do?


What Would Emma Do?
by Eileen Cook

Emma has sinned. She kissed her best friend's boyfriend. And she knows she's messed up. It doesn't help that she lives in a small, religious town where everybody knows everything. Emma is somewhat of an outsider anyway, since she is basically the only person in Wheaton that wants to leave. She's counting down the days until she gets to Chicago for college.

Now the girls in the school's popular crowd are mysteriously fainting. Emma is one of few that knows something that proves they are lying, but by fessing up, she would lose her track scholarship, and her ticket out of town.

Grade: B

This was a really interesting story. I enjoyed it a lot. It was a slow beginning, which I don't enjoy, but then it picked up the pace. I think I loved Emma the most. She seemed like me in many ways, by the things she said. When I started reading the book, I really had no idea where it was going. The ending was good, but it left me hanging. I like the title, but the cover doesn't make any sense to me. Overall, I found this to be enjoyable, but a one-time read.