Friday, January 16, 2009

How Not to be Popular


How Not to be Popular
by Jennifer Ziegler

Sugar Magnolia Dempsey, aka Maggie, has never stayed in one town for more than 8 months. And now she is tired of it, all the moving with her hippie parents, Les and Rosie.

Now she is moving from Portland to Austin. She is leaving behind a best friend and a boyfriend. This time around, she is determined to not make friends. She won't seek out the popular girls and befriend them. No, she will be weird, and make sure no one wants her as a friend.

She dresses in outrageous outfits, does water aerobics, and joins the Happy Hands club. There's a problem though--she starts to care about the people around her: Penny, the girl that sat with her on her first day of school, and Jack, the clean-cut wannabe lawyer. So, Maggie comes up with something that is sure to push them all away. The worst part is...it works.

Grade: A

I loved this book. Maggie was such a great character, but it annoyed me how she just pushed away the people she met. Especially Jack! I liked him from the start, and I know she did too, but I wish she would have forgot about Trevor. The story had a great message as well: don't be afraid of who you are and where you come from. I wish it had ended different though. It was a good ending, but it makes me want to know more about the future of Maggie. I recommend this book. It was great!

1 comments:

Kd said...

This looks really good! I especially love the cover. :]

Katie