Monday, December 22, 2008

The Nature of Jade


The Nature of Jade
by Deb Caletti

Jade DeLuna has Panic Disorder. But she tries her very best to stay calm all the time. The thoughts, loss of breath, and dizziness is scary for her! She starts to go to the zoo in Seattle to watch the elephants, which soothes her. Since she obviously can't always be at the zoo, she has the live webcam up on her computer screen daily. Which is where she first saw the boy in the red jacket, with a baby.

They meet. His name is Sebastian, and he and his grandmother are raising Bo, his son. She believes this truly was love at first sight. She spends all the time she can with either Sebastian, Tess (his activist grandmother), or Bo. And then she finds out about his past, and it is surprising. Sebastian's past forces Jade into deciding on what is right, and what feels right.

Grade: A-

This book was really good. It took a while for the plot to get started though. One thing I really enjoyed about this was that it took place in Seattle, which is like, half an hour away from where I live! And she mentioned Point Defiance, which is a park I absolutely love to go to! :) There were 2 things that I didn't really like. First, I got kind of bored hearing about the elephants, but that was a part of Jade's character, so I know why it had to be in the story. And then the ending. I liked what happened, but I wanted to know more! Overall, this was a really good story.

4 comments:

Just Listen said...

I loved this book. I thought it was so cute.

Great review.

Tasha said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I read Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Caletti a while back and enjoyed it, although there were parts that dragged a bit for me, which seems like how you felt with the elephants.

Em said...

I haven't read any of her books but I hear they are really good.

I like your new header. :)

Breanna said...

I really want to read this. I've heard that it's pretty good. I'll have to read it sometime. Great review!

Man I know, I'm such a slacker. Life is so hectic! I'm trying to read as much as I can during the break. Thanks for the comment :)

-Breanna