Monday, August 16, 2010

Shadow Hills


Shadow Hills
by Anastasia Hopcus

Persephone "Phe" Archer feels as though she doesn't belong in LA any more since her sister's death. She leaves the city to go to Devenish Prep, a boarding school in Shadow Hills, Massachusetts. Her sister, Athena, had written of this place in her last diary entry, and Phe is determined to figure out why.

As Phe snoops around the school and the town, she continues to have dreams about the town and people within the town, both dead and alive. But the townspeople are odd. Every single one of them. And they might be after her.

Grade: C

I had many problems with this book. The synopsis made it sound amazing, and suspenseful, and romantic, and all that good stuff. I was wrong. I will start with the good. My favorite part of the book was the last couple of chapters. It picked up the pace, and I was intrigued. I can't say that for the rest of the book though.

Though the plot seemed interesting enough, it lacked...something. The characters definitely could have developed more. I realized shortly after I started reading that I was very annoyed by Phe's personality. She seemed fake-y to me, and really nosy. She liked to snoop, even if it was risking her safety, which I didn't find realistic. The conversations didn't seem incredibly realistic to me either. The wording seemed a little more proper than what I am used to in YA novels, so that might be why.

The relationship between Phe and Zach didn't hit a soft spot for me. Though when he came into the scene while reading, the parts did seem to go by faster, which was good, considering the slow pace of the book. Also, the whole "love at first sight" in books don't really phase me. I don't care for them at all. And the relationship just went from them meeting to them being so close so incredibly fast, which could be realistic, but not really relate-able to a lot of people.

Overall, I definitely think this book had potential, though it wasn't totally reached.

*reviewed for TeensReadToo

6 comments:

Laina said...

Awwww, that sucks that it didn't wow you. I've been really looking forward to this one. Sadness!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley when r u gonna post something??

58ABZ1B19KU038384 said...

great one downloads

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you would be a great author.
I appreciate your blog post, beautifully expressed and well written.
Here is usful info too.....

Save with Banyo on Gazco Gas Fires, also check our latest range of Gazco Studio 1 on sale at special discounted prices.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 2 Gas Fires. We deliver across UK.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 3. We deliver across UK. Order Online: 011-627-44-059
Hot Offers
Clearance & Special Offers
Thanks

Anonymous said...

push up bra
partytent
push up bh
trägerloser bh
rückenfreie bh
push up bh
container verhuur
container huren
puin afvoeren
bouwafval container
bedrijfsafval
Soutien gorge sans bretelles

مجدى said...


ارخص شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض