Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Story of a Girl


Story of a Girl
by Sara Zarr

3.5/5

Deanna has been known as the "school slut" since she was thirteen. Now she has just finished her sophmore year. Things haven't changed: her dad hates her and will hardly speak to her and the guys at school are always trying to get with her.

The guy was Tommy, Deanna's brother's (Darren) supposed best friend. Deanna was in middle school, and he was a junior in high school. He told her he really liked her. She believed it, and didn't want to seem so young around him. It was just the way he looked at her. And then her dad followed them one night and found them parked and doing more than just kissing.

Deanna got a job at Picasso's Pizza at the start of summer. On her first day, Tommy was there...working. But she stayed, hoping it would be okay. Eventually, they talk about what had happened, and how miserable he had made her life. All the while, Deanna's home life isn't getting any better. Her brother, his girlfriend, and their baby are having their own issues. Deanna finally has the breakdown that has been held inside for two whole years.

This was an alright book, but not what I was expecting. It wasn't bad, but it isn't a favorite. The story was good, but I wasn't really satisfied with the ending. It didn't really clarify what would happen with her brother, with Tommy, he parents, or her friends. I liked the other book by Sara Zarr better. The story line was really good though. The "school slut" is a believeable story as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, you read this. :) I really loved this book. And yes, a link exchange it is :).

Anonymous said...

Hm, what would you like me to put as your name on my blog? o.O

Breanna said...

Hmm well I wanted to read this. I probably still will though at some point. Great review!

And an ARC stands for an Advanced Reader Copy. It's an unfinished book that is sent out to reviewers to get reviews out on the book before it's released.

-Breanna

Liv said...

nice review! And I'd love to do a link exchange. Love the blog so far!

Kelsey said...

Hey! i loved this book. I actually have a short interview with Sara Zarr on my blog. Check it out. Great Review. I had some mixed feelings also.