Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shutter Island


Shutter Island
by Dennis Lehane

The year is 1954, and U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels is on his way on a ferry to Shutter Island, where Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane resides. He has a new partner, Chuck Aule, and together they must figure out how Rachel Solando, a murderess, has mysteriously escaped from her room.

Upon arrival, Ashecliffe is certainly suspicious. They are denied access to looking at patient and employee files. Teddy could be at the hospital for multiple reasons: the escape, the radical approach on psychiatry, or even potential experimentation. With a hurricane in the forecast, and communication cut off from the mainland, Teddy and Chuck begin to think that they might never get off Shutter Island...

Grade: A+

Not really a book I normally review, right? :)

Normally I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie, but in this case, I saw the movie first. I am so intrigued by anything related to mental illness and institutions. (Am I weird?!) I figured the book would be so incredibly different from the movie, like they usually are. But I was wrong!

I started off reading, and there is a prologue that is some years later, and it's Chuck talking, and that got me thinking, "oh great, this is going to be so different." But I continued reading, and I could hardly stop. I was so into the book (which is great since I have been in a reading slump!). And, I'm not sure which I liked better: the book or the movie. They were both fantastic! If you like thrillers and mystery, give this a try!

3 comments:

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

I'm reading this book right now! Just like you, I saw the movie first. I wasn't aware of the book version until I saw "Based on the novel..." during the starting credits.

One of the things I've noticed is how similar the movie is to the book! Sometimes it's down to the exact same dialogue. I loved the movie and am enjoying the book so far!

Emidy
from Une Parole

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you would be a great author.
I appreciate your blog post, beautifully expressed and well written.
Here is usful info too.....

Save with Banyo on Gazco Gas Fires, also check our latest range of Gazco Studio 1 on sale at special discounted prices.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 2 Gas Fires. We deliver across UK.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 3. We deliver across UK. Order Online: 011-627-44-059
Hot Offers
Clearance & Special Offers
Thanks

Anonymous said...

push up bra
partytent
push up bh
trägerloser bh
rückenfreie bh
push up bh
container verhuur
container huren
puin afvoeren
bouwafval container
bedrijfsafval
Soutien gorge sans bretelles