Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wintergirls


Wintergirls
by Laurie Halse Anderson

from cover flap:
Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her stepmother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way--thin, thinner, thinnest--maybe she'll disappear altogether.

Grade: A+

First off, I think the cover is amazing. Secondly, this is probably one of the most disturbing books I have ever read.

Spiders hatch and crawl out of my belly button, hariy little tar beads with ballerina feet. They swarm, spinning a silk veil, one hundred thousand spider thoughts woven together until they wrap me up in a cozy shroud...Page 43

I mean, that is weird. But it is written sooo well. It almost made me feel like I was her, counting calories, etc. I can't imagine being as sick as that.I hate to admit it, but I was really interested in reading this book because...I have my own background in anorexia. Overall, another amazing novel that deals with the hardship of anorexia and cutting.

**REMEMBER TO ENTER MY CONTEST! IT ENDS ON SATURDAY!**