Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Samuel Blink and the Runaway Troll

Samuel Blink and the Runaway Troll
by Matt Haig

5/5

Samuel and Martha Blink just moved to Norway to live with their Aunt Eda and Uncle Henrik after their parents died in a car accident. It’s time for school to start, and they must keep their mouths shut (especially Martha, for she certainly knows how to babble) about what is really in Shadow Forest. If anyone found out, especially Mr. Myklebust, they would be in trouble for keeping it a secret.

Troll-Son and his family lives in Shadow Forest. Troll-Mother is going to send him to the Betterer (the worst place imaginable for a troll child!) to make him, obviously, better. So, he runs away to be with Samuel Blink, whom he met before in the forest. Troll-Son leaves the forest to find Samuel.

When Samuel discovers Troll-Son, it is his job to either keep him there, away from the Betterer, or to make him return back to the forest. When he decides to hide him, his aunt and uncle discover him shortly. This is a problem, since Cornelia, Mr. Myklebust's daughter, is over. (Mr. Myklebust is bribing Cornelia to spy on the family) What will happen when Cornelia tells on the family about having a troll in their house? What happened to Troll-Mother, or the Betterer?

I absolutely loved this book. It was funny and entertaining, as well as having suspense. I enjoyed it so much! I liked how it was written: each character had their thoughts put in some way or another. At first I thought the book would be more so for smaller kids, but once I got to reading, I was hooked. The writing was just so easy to get hooked to.What made it even better was that I am Norwegian. I thought it was fun to read a book that takes place in Norway. I recommend it to anyone, really. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!

0 comments: